This lighthouse was manufactured in 1864 from the French Company of Lighthouses. The altitude of tower is 14,5 metres and the height of focal plane is 23 metres. It was included in the Greek lighthouses network afterwards Balkan Wars 1912-13.
The foundation of Kalandra's in Chalkidiki, first settlement in the present position is dated either at the end of the Byzantine years or the beginning of the Turkish domination. The area is tightly associated with the existence of "Mendi". The place-names of the country of Mendi were kept unchanged, like the one of its beach that is still called Posidio, an ionic expression of Posidonion, as Thucydides names it in the 5th ce BC. What is left today nearby the coastline are the ruins of ancient Mendi's wall. Four kilometres west is the temple of Poseidon, built on a stripe of land near the sea. Next to it stands the lighthouse built in 1864.
|Copyright © 2000-2017
|All rights reserved